They say its a funny old world at times – and yet you only truly understand what that means with wisdom, and wisdom normally comes with age – this thing we call life is but a school, a training ground, a place of learning.
But, a training ground for what? What exactly was it we signed up for? What are the tests? Is there an exam? How will I know when I’m finished? All perfectly normal questions. Yet there is no set course work, no rules, no right or wrong answers – the whole thing is simply about inner growth and understanding.
There is not a single soul on this earth who does not have a story to tell – every single person all xxx billion souls have a life journey to tell, and as we progress on this journey the sorties become richer and deeper (and of course there are those with profound stories even as children)
Yet every single one of us will experience, the extremes of emotions from pure joy to being distraught.
I asked Wick (my guide) why we are here a few weeks ago and he has been giving me pages and pages (which I am typing up) but the bottom line is
ღ contentment ღ
an emotional state where you are at one within yourself
Its an energy state to which we will all go back to – how we all link together in harmony back at source.
We all know we arrive here with a contract signed and a guide to guide us. A gate keeper to protect us and parents to to help start the journey. But the clarity comes when you understand that the list of lessons you have on your contract is not psychically things – they are a list of emotions.
Emotions are our lessons
How we handle those emotions are our tests and once through them, we examine ourselves. Once we have examined and understood: we grow. If we have not grown enough to understand that emotion, then it repeats. And if that’s happens, and we are cleaver enough, we learn to handle it in a different way. We are sent with tools to deal with this as the day we are born on is no accident. But we will all go through this journey we call life experiencing emotions.
Be it sorrow, joy, hate, betrayal, misunderstanding, love, respect, mourning, euphoria…. the list goes on and on (see below) … and its not just about other people doing this to you – we will all break hearts, bring joy, upset people, mistrust, bring love etc etc
So my gift to you today – is that of awareness – awareness of other people and you – the awareness of how others effect you and how you effect them.
Everyone crosses your path for a reason, season or life time – and every single one of those meetings is profound – you may not know or understand them all as they happen, and you may never until your life review but every single person you have met so far on your journey – this journey life – has shaped you – has created things within you – emotions – thoughts – all these make you the person you are today. And likewise everyone you have met – you have helped shape them, you have given them thoughts and feeling – you helped make them the person they are today. So be mindful of those around you and not only how they effect you, but how you effect them.
We will all go through issues, drama, proud moments, happy moments, sad moments- moments when we feel alive and moments when we feel we will never live again – yet its all living – its all learning – its all growth. So when your at the end of your wits and in a place you feel you will never return from – go and sit in a public place and watch the people around you – switch off from your thoughts – sit and observe – know that every singe person who walks past you carries a big deep sorry within them – how they handled the stages of that story is their journey, their emtions, their lesson – how you handle yours; is your story and thus your lesson – but just beware everyone is learning, everyone is growing, everyone is on a journey we call life….
List of emotions
Robert Plutchik’s theory says that the eight basic emotions are:
- Fear → feeling afraid. Other words are terror (strong fear), shock, phobia
- Anger → feeling angry. A stronger word is rage.
- Sadness → feeling sad. Other words are sorrow, grief (a stronger feeling, for example when someone has died) or depression(feeling sad for a long time). Some people think depression is a different emotion.
- Joy → feeling happy. Other words are happiness, gladness.
- Disgust → feeling something is wrong or dirty
- Trust → a positive emotion; admiration is stronger; acceptance is weaker
- Anticipation → in the sense of looking forward positively to something which is going to happen. Expectation is more neutral.
- Surprise → how one feels when something unexpected happens
Book Two of Aristotle’s “Rhetoric”
This theory says that the emotions are:
- Anger, opposite calmness (not feeling excited).
- Friendship, opposite enmity (feeling hate)
- Fear, opposite courage (having no fear)
- Shame, opposite confidence (shame: how one feels about one’s past bad actions or thoughts; shamelessness: one does not feel shame, but others think one should.)
- Kindness (benevolence), opposite cruelty (kindness: when people are good to other people)
- Pity (when people feel sorry for other people)
- Indignation (feeling angry because something is not fair, such as undeserved bad fortune)
- Envy, jealous (pain when people have something that one wishes for oneself)
- Love, a strong emotion of attachment one feels for someone else. Ranges to family, pets, friends, boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband.
The engineered language Lojban
This constructed language has words showing these emotions:
- Simple emotions
- discovery – anger
- envy – no surprise – expectation
- wonder – surprise – commonplace
- happiness – sadness
- amusement – weariness
- courage – timidity – cowardice
- pity – cruelty
- Complex emotions
- pride – modesty- shame
- closeness – detachment – distance
- complaint/pain – doing average – pleasure
- caution – boldness – rashness
- patience – mere tolerance – anger
- relaxation – composure – stress
- envy – goodwill
- Pure emotions
- fear – nervousness – security
- togetherness – privacy
- respect – disrespect
- appreciation – envy
- love – no love lost – hatred
- hope – despair
- confusion – being confused
Feelings and Emotions Vocabulary Word List